One of the most important steps to building a career you love is visibility. One of the most important steps to building a career you love is visibility. How do people recognise you? How do people know what you do and what you stand for?
As a woman in property and in construction, or in any male-dominated space, it can feel extremely uncomfortable to spotlight our own work and what we are doing. For most women, that does not come naturally. But if we want to take the next step in our careers we need to shine a light on what we’re doing and speak up and advocate for ourselves.
This is what building a personal brand is all about. It is what elevates you and sets you apart from your peers.
This is what we explore in the podcast today. I share six prompts to help you build your personal brand:
- What do you want to be known for? eg. I help x to achieve y, so they can z (mine is: I help women in male-dominated industries. to navigate their careers so they become confident and impactful leaders).
- Think about your values and your goals. What are you trying to achieve? What are you aspiring to and what are the values that underpin the work you do?
- Who’s the target audience? Who do you want to share your message with?
- Build your presence. Start showing up in the places where your target audience is.
- Network. Build that group of people around you who are like-minded, who are supportive, who are working towards similar goals, and be each other’s cheerleaders.
- Make it a habit to evaluate your brand. Come back to these questions on a regular basis to determine what’s working and what isn’t. Are your message and brand aligned with your values?
My final takeaway for you is to not overcomplicate it. Don’t get stuck on your brand needing to be perfect or your messaging needing to be spot on all the time. You need to start where you are and tweak and refine this as you go. Give yourself the freedom to make mistakes because you won’t learn anything if you don’t put yourself out there.
Your personal brand is one of the most effective ways to create the career and life that you want. And the best time to start building it is right now.
Book a Free Career Strategy Coaching Session
Enjoy the show?
- Never miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or wherever you get your podcast
- Leave a rating & review
- Share it with a friend or colleague