Since I can remember I’ve always set goals. In fact, it’s one of my favourite things to do, only proceeded by actually achieving my goal. And I attribute all the success I’ve had in my life, be it my career, health or my contribution to the world, to this.
So, I thought I’d share why goals setting is important, along with my ultimate guide for how to set and achieve goals. Having this by your side will give you clarity, intention and structure. It’s a critical process I work through with my clients because, without a goal, you have nothing to work towards and no measure of success.
But before we get started, I want to address the single biggest complaint I hear about my approach – it takes times. Not weeks or months, but hours. Solid hours of thoughtful consideration and honest reflection. But I challenge you to make the commitment to yourself to actually do the work of effective goal setting because believe me, it’s what sets the great apart from the average. (And you, my friend, are great).
Why goal setting is important
Having a clear goal does two key things. Firstly, it gives you a clear intention. This provides you with a focus that guides all your decisions and actions and creates alignment in your life.
Secondly, it allows you to identify where you are right now and develop a realistic plan. Knowing this is crucial otherwise, it’s like having a map with a destination but not knowing where you are starting from or what mode of transport you can use.
Research also shows people who set goals experience higher motivation, confidence and autonomy, all of which are associated with increased happiness and fulfilment.
How to set & achieve your goals
This framework guides you through everything you need to set meaningful goals that are aligned to the life you want.
It also provides the structure you need to set yourself up for success. This allows you to achieve your goals ASAP and with the least amount of stress and drama.
Below is a brief outline of the 10 steps:
- Know your big picture – this is about knowing what your life vision is and what you are ultimately working towards.
- Reflect – taking the time to learn from your past and know what works for you and what doesn’t. This stops you reinventing the wheel and making the same mistakes again.
- Braindump your goals – get everything down on paper so you can free your mind. You can then sort through and prioritise your goals in a logical order with forgetting anything.
- Know your non-negotiables – this is crucial because no one else will enforce boundaries unless you do. It’s time to prioritise your needs in order to achieve success.
- Pick your one thing – simplifying your focus will amplify your results, so pick your one thing. This will give you clarity and unwavering purpose.
- Brainstorm – consider all the things you could do to get closer to achieving your ‘one thing’.
- Establish your must-dos – work through your ideas and establish your critical path for success.
- Identify your tasks – get into the specifics of what tasks need to be done and schedule them in.
- Get support – find the people who will support your success and create accountability for yourself.
- Review your progress – cultivate a growth mindset and keep working towards your goal by reviewing and course-correcting when necessary.
Want a little more guidance?
Get your copy of the ultimate guide for how to set and achieve goals and start working towards your goals today!
And remember there is no right or wrong answer to the questions included in the guide. Instead, the questions act as prompts to guide your thinking. Just write what you know now, knowing it may change in the future (which is normal). And please, don’t let perfection get in the way of progress.
Have a friend who’d benefit from reading this? Share this article using the links below.